FEB 23, 2013
The bill the PTs are sponsoring to allow them to practice acupuncture (against the clause in their practice act forbidding them to practice acupuncture), HB367, will be heard in the House Health and Human Services committee tomorrow, Monday, February 24th at 4:00 in the House Bldg., Room 25.
We are massively outgunned in this fight. They have four lobbyists working to help them get this bill passed where we have only one.
Here are some things you can do:
1) Show up tomorrow afternoon at the capitol to testify against this bill. The meeting is at 4:00 in The House building, Room 25 but Kris Justesen will meet anyone who wants to attend the meeting at 3:45 inside the east entrance of the West Building (the House building) by the revolving door.
2) Write your state representative or senator to ask them to oppose this bill if it gets out of committee and goes for a floor vote. If you don't know who your rep or senator are you can find them by pasting this link into your browser: le.utah.gov. Go to the bottom left of the page and enter your address and zip and it will give you their names and contact #s
3) Check to see if your representative is part of the House Health and Human Services committee; if so, CALL THEM BEFORE NOON TOMORROW (2/24/14) to ask them to oppose the bill on the grounds of public safety. We all know 2 weekends of training is not enough to safely practice acupuncture. Here are the members of the committee:
4) Finally, PLEASE HELP US PAY THE DEBT WE'VE INCURRED TO OUR LOBBYIST. If you haven't paid your dues yet for this year, please do so now. And if you're willing to make a contribution to our lobbyist fund (as all our officers and board members have already done), please click on the donation tab on this website and make a contribution.
Feel free to call me with questions at 435-628-7288.
Thanks for all your help.
FEB 22, 2012:
OUR BILL HAS PASSED THE SENATE BY A VOTE OF 27-0-2. IT NOW MOVES DIRECTLY TO THE FLOOR OF THE HOUSE.
PLEASE CONTACT YOUR HOUSE REPRESENTATIVE WITH A VERY SHORT, ONE-SENTENCE NOTE
TO ASK THEM TO SUPPORT THE BILL. THE VOTE WILL HAPPEN IN THE NEXT FEW DAYS TO WEEK.
This is the link to find your legislator and state senator: http://le.utah.gov/GIS/findDistrict.jsp
Please use the link to do 2 things:
1) Find your legislator and email, write or call them, asking them to support the bill.
2) Ask your patients to do the same.
We will keep you posted as events progress. Feel free to email us with any questions.
Thank you for your support.
Mark Montgomery, UAAOM Membership Co-Chair